Thursday, February 16, 2017

Angelique Kerber crashes out to Kasatkina

World number two Angelique Kerber finally got to play her first match at the rain-affected Qatar Open on Thursday then promptly crashed out of the tournament.

"It's my second year on the WTA Tour, so I have to grow up!" laughed Kasatkina in her on-court interview after the match.

"I am happy that I went through this and I am in the quarters."

Kerber lost 6-4, 0-6, 6-4 to Russian teenager Daria Kasatkina in a second round match.

The German had received a first round bye. "Of course it's always tough to play the first matches after a longer break," said the former number one afterwards.

Polish number four seed Agnieszka Radwanska is also out, having lost 7-5 6-3 to Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki.

Third seed Dominika Cibulkova, though, secured her place in the semi-finals after beating Samantha Stosur 7-5 6-4 for what was a first career victory over the Australian.

No comments:

Post a Comment