Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Raids on Sasi clan: I-T dept to hand over case to ED?

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) may take over the case of large-scale tax evasion by the family members and associates of expelled AIADMK leader V K Sasikala, from the Income-Tax (IT) Department. According to sources, officials are waiting for orders from the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).




“The illegal transactions found during the marathon raids are huge and they come under the limits of the ED,” reports said, quoting sources.




Two days after Income Tax raids on Sasikala’s family came to an end, the jailed AIADMK leader’s niece Krishnapriya has stated that the searches were not political and I-T officials were simply doing their duty.




Krishnapriya is the daughter of Sasikala’s sister-in-law Ilavarasi, who is also in jail for the Disproportionate Assets case. Krishnapriya, her sister Shakeela along with their husbands were called for an inquiry to the I-T office in Nungambakkam on Wednesday.




Speaking to reporters, Krishnapriya said, “I can’t divulge details on the inquiry when the investigation is still going on. It was a routine inquiry, they carried out their duty and I did my duty. I have come to submit accounts. The inquiry is not over so this is not the right time to speak about it.




Jaya TV managing director and Sasikala's nephew Vivek Jayaraman on Tuesday refuted T T V Dhinakaran's charge that the I-T searches were politically motivated.




"As far as I know, they (searches) don't seem to be so (politically motivated)," Vivek told reporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment